Thursday, November 7, 2013

Where do I begin 
“Where do I begin 
To tell the story of how great a love can be 
The sweet love story that is older than the sea 
The simple truth about the love she brings to me 
Where do I start “

I build this story based on the old time famous song of Andy Williams:  Where Do I Begin (Love Story) because I found the structure of the song help me in telling how I fell in love with underwater photography.

Rare fish I found in Alor. Using my old time pocket camera
With her first hello….
It was not the love at the first sight. Few first dives I was still busy with controlling myself well underwater. I had no “time” nor “eyes” to see those little things or big pelagic swimming in the dark of the sea pointed by my instructor. But at least I know that it is not as scary as I thought. Slowly but sure, I got more acquainted with the underwater beauty. I fell in love…..





She fills my heart with very special things…
Scuba Diving Grand Prize Winner - USA
I bought my first pocket camera with underwater housing because I want to memorise those special things I met underwater. Then I realised that an underwater strobe is essential for underwater photography. I bought one, and another one a year later. With limited tools, I started making photographs and joining some competitions. One day in 2008 one of my photographs won a Grand Prize in a competition then I bought my first DSLR and its housing using the prize money I earned.


Pocket Camera vs DSLR Camera+Diopter

With angels' songs , with wild imaginings…
With a DSLR camera I have more options in creating photographs. Make better wide angle photos which was a lot more limited with pocket camera, photographs small objects, or creating more interesting photographs like the NDOF photo (read my previous blog).

I think it is a journey that will never end as long as I am alive.

Flamboyant cuttlefish 


“How long does it last 
Can love be measured by the hours in a day 
I have no answers now but this much I can say 
I know I'll need her till the stars all burn away 

And she'll be there”

No comments:

Post a Comment